Thursday, July 9, 2009
Seven Ways to Meet Your Lover
Journal Entry: Weight = 173.0; Coinage = $1.31, 36 pennies, 2 nickels, 3 dimes, 2 quarters; Glass bottles = 7; Ground Scores = 4; Best Coinage = a dime left in a parking validation coin machine's coin return slot. These machines are replacing the traditional coin meters.
Feature Entry: Fidelity is an important family concept to the MoneyWalker, but I must confess that I am in love with walking. What follows are seven ways that you can meet up with a good walk. Walking will allow you to enjoy a few guilty eating sins while burning calories and still losing weight. What follows are seven ways to meet your lover with apologies to Paul Simon.
1. Get up early by habit—a four mile walk begun at 6 a.m. can be completed by 7 a.m. This gives the exerciser enough time for a nutritious breakfast, quality family time, and a newspaper read, and still be at work at a prescribed appropriate time.
2. Noon walking— Going out with the gang is usually a positive experience, but lunches are often not friendly to ones waist line. Noon walking alone or with a friend can burn many calories and still leave enough time for a quick lunch.
3. Car parking—People spend excessive amounts of time looking and waiting for a parking spot strategic to the front entrance of their work place. Why not reverse the practice and park several blocks or even a mile from work and walk in. In some instances we can save parking decal cost while contributing to the goal of 10,000 daily steps. Just leave home a little early. After work, the walk to the car can be used to de-stress.
4. Residual walking—The MoneyWalker talks a lot about residual walks. The first impulse for shopping and chores is to use the car. Often restaurants, the post office, library, bank, drug stores, grocery, hardware, and other destinations are an easy walk. Not using the car is green-gracious and allows you to steal calories.
5. Coffee break walking—some are lucky enough to have a several minute coffee break in the morning and afternoon. Fore go the water cooler gossip and take a five minute out, five minute back walk. You might be surprised how far you can walk in five minutes. Plus, you will not be tempted with one of those ubiquitous sugary snacks.
6. Going to meetings in a different building—many jobs are with organizations that have campus type building arrangements. If a meeting is in a building several blocks away—walk, don’t drive.
7. Vacation walking—finally the big day arrives, it is vacation. Vacations are a great time for hikes and nature trail walking. But most of all, vacations allow leisure time, a friend of the walker. Maintain your habit of an early rise and a one hour zoom—the new sights will stimulate.
Do you have other ways to meet your lover? Maestro please..
"Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain.
Oklahoma, Ev'ry night my honey lamb and I
Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk
Makin' lazy circles in the sky."