Sunday, October 11, 2009

Newspaper headline warnings and reminders


Journal Entry: Weight = 174.4 (Weight up, week-end company gets the MoneyWalker too often.); Coinage = $2.02, 82 pennies, 3 nickels, 8 dimes, 1 quarter; Glass Bottles = 12; Ground Scores = 2; Best coinage find = one dime on a “hunch” detour.

Feature Entry: What follows are several newspaper headlines with a few comments:

Holiday shopping season is near!” It is time to develop a firm holiday strategy for portion control. The MoneyWalker will practice his habit of first taking a beverage glass and not sit down at holiday parties. Then he will make extra efforts to mix and mingle. It is very hard to eat, talk, and hold food saucers. Also, he will avoid the cheeses and concentrate on the fruits and vegetables. Also, he will double his intention to weigh every day.

“Mattel creates a more diverse Barbie!” Yes, but she is still thin. She obviously practices portion control, eats a healthy breakfast, and regularly exercises. She is a role model for all of us.

“The best revenge!” In Joy Hirdes’s Friday Times –Picayune feature “A personal look at living well,” she featured Mandy Vicknair, a teacher’s assistant. Mandy, a grandmother dropped seventy pounds in a spin class. Mandy talks of the importance of gaining family support for losing weight: “I told my family, this is hard for me but y’all have to help.” We must be firm with our "enablers" and tell them to cool their negativie insistencies.

“High BMI can cut women’s life expectancy!” Says Maria Cheng, AP medical writer, “Being fat in middle age may slash women’s chances of making it to their golden years. For every one-point increase in their Body Mass Index, women have a 12 percent lower chance of surviving to age 70 in good health when compared to thin women.” Other studies have found the same for men.

It is early, but the MoneyWalker is developing his holiday strategy now. Can't wait to show off my six-pack abs come this January.

MoneyWalker

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I have to disagree on this one. Barbie is anorexic, not healthy. Her shape is totally unrealistic. And role model? Not for me, my daughters or granddaughters. Sorry MoneyWalker. Although I agree with 99.99% of everything you write I just couldn't let this go without comment.

    Regarding enablers, I have a neighbor who insists on bringing goodies to my door. After asking her repeatedly not to do it anymore I gave up. They now go directly in the trash can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I hope you'll post a photo of those six-pack abs! I'll bet you'll look just like Barbie's friend Ken!
    (Did I take that one too far?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.K., I admit it, I went to far with the role model bit and Barbie. Also, concerning those six-pack abs, I must think of better ways to finish off my blogs rather than tongue-in-cheek.

    ReplyDelete