Wednesday, September 9, 2009

KFC –It must have been “Finger Licking Good”

Journal Entry: Weight = 172.2; Coinage = $1.91; 96 pennies, 2 nickels, 1 dime, 3 quarters; Glass bottles = 7; Ground score = 1; Best coinage find = .93 in a KFC drive up, 3 quarters, a dime, a nickel, and 3 pennies.

Feature Entry: The MoneyWalker found an unusually large amount of change in the local KFC drive through. It made me thing of their tag line “finger licking good.” But what about the calories? Not too bad: Drumstick = 110, breast = 140, fries = 294, biscuit = 74; and coke = 139 or about 750 calories for a two piece with fries, biscuit and a coke. Cut the fries and drink water and the meal comes in at a rather decent 325 calories. Also, congratulations to KFC and their new policy of posting the calorie count of their menu within their KFC outlets.

All that, but I still can’t get past the image of the customer’s Pavlovian response in anticipation of that chicken so that total focus is lost on anything else including the retrieval of all that change.

MoneyWalker

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, haven't had KFC for a long time. My father loved it and my mother was a terrible cook so we ate it often. Is that 140 calorie breast grilled or fried? One of my morning stops is a KFC but it's been rather stingy for the last few weeks. I have a suspicion that there is another coin collector lurking in my territory and he is hitting some of the drive-throughs.

    That brings up another question (yes, I'm nosy): what time do you hit the streets? It must be early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About KFC, when I went on-line doing research for the blog, one financial report indicated that 08-09 have not been good years for KFC. Maybe that accounts for some of the drought. My KFC has been the same as yours, way off recently in terms of coins. Same with Wendys which is also struggling financially.

    This morning I left home at 6:10 a.m. Still dark. If I go to the car wash, a 10 minute walk, I want to be there early. I leave at 6:30 a.m. on my usual routes. They last 75 to 90 minutes. All these times will change with the end of daylight savings time. I also take one afternoon walk a week, usually when we return from our so called get-away house. How about your departure?

    Are you a Utah and or BYU fan? BYU will be in the Superdome this saturday and should have no problem with Tulane. Last year Sandra and I went to the Marriott Hotel to watch Utah fans in the lobby on the eve of the Sugar Bowl. They were great fans.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we live identical lives in opposite areas of the country. My alarm goes off at 5:45 and I'm usually out of the house with a banana in my hand before 6:15. Lately typical ralks have been 90-120 minutes. On Sundays it's around three hours. This morning I kicked into gear and did some real running for the first time in a few months. I'm feeling the aches already.

    I'm a graduate of Weber State here in our town. Daughter Eris did undergrad at Weber, Masters at Utah State University (Logan) and is over halfway finished with her PhD at the University of Utah. She chuckles when she proudly tells people that she will have degrees from three UT universities, none of them BYU. She is an active member of the LDS church so that is often met with confusion.

    Hubby Mike got his Masters from BYU but never went on the campus. All classes were at a satelite campus. He claims Arizona State University as his alma mater.

    We bleed red around here for U of U.

    You went to "watch" the Utah fans? Did you notice the horns that we are so famous for? U of U fans would be much more fun to watch than BYU.

    ReplyDelete